HKN and Windows7~

Using HotkeyNet with Dark Age of Camelot.

HKN and Windows7~

Postby grimgolem2 on Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:34 pm

Anyone running HKN and win7 on daoc? I'm returning to the game again and I'm curious how everything is running with it. I don't want to get everything all setup just to find that its all buggy and doesn't work, in turn forcing me to revert back to xp. =P

Saw the killmutex thread and it had me wondering..
grimgolem2

Re: HKN and Windows7~

Postby HotkeyNet on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:16 am

Four or five people have reported the KillMutex problem, and nobody has reported any other problems. A couple of people have said HotkeyNet and DAOC work fine (except for KillMutex) on Win 7. So I think it's safe to assume that KillMutex is the only problem.

KillMutex broke on Win 7 because it uses undocumented features of the operating system, but it's the only part of HotkeyNet that does that.

By the way I've done some work on updating KillMutex for Win 7 and hope to have it working pretty soon.
-- Freddie
HotkeyNet
Site Admin

Postby paeva on Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:31 am

I've been using HKN on Win7-64 for about a week now. I couldn't get KillMutex to work, as stated above. However, you can manually get around this for now by using Process Explorer (check the other threads on this topic for info).

I'm pretty successfully running a full group of eight on one machine. I've moved to running the seven other characters in VMware Workstation instances, though it worked pretty well just running them directly in Windows. I had issues with using the mouse for navigation while pressing a key (screen spins around wildly for a moment), and I wanted to cut down latency, which becomes an issue when HKN has to cycle through each of eight windows in sequence - which is not a problem with HKN but with the games it has to play to get DAOC to recognize the synthesized keystrokes. It would take maybe a half second to send each keystroke around to all the characters, though this be something that can be tweaked.

For reference, my system is a Core i7 920 with 12 GB RAM and a RAID 10 set of disks (running those seven Virtual Machines on a single drive or with less RAM would not be pleasant).
paeva

Postby Spesh on Sun Jul 05, 2009 12:20 pm

Its a shame that you cannot run daoc inside virtualXP on win7 - well, at least i cannot as i get the old renderer failed message as it has no hardware acceleration etc :(
Spesh

Postby jakweeze on Sat Aug 22, 2009 2:47 pm

Been any progress on the KillMutex on the windows 7 front?

I'd love to be able to natively run multiple accts inside of windows obviously rather than in vmware which no matter what you do isn't going to be fun times...

Let me know if there's any thing at all I can help you out with and I'd love to.

My system is only half as impressive as the previous poster's but I'm okay with that

6gig o ram, 4890 x2, i7 (whatever their lowest end one was) and 2x Patriot Torqx 64gb SSD's (Stripe Raid) but I'm doubting that system reqs really make no difference on this working or not...

I am running a Full version of Windows 7 RTM x64 Ultimate via Microsoft MSDN
jakweeze

Postby HotkeyNet on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:13 pm

VMWare -- yep, that's the problem. It was so annoying trying to fix this on Windows 7 on top of VMWare that I decided to postpone any further work on it until I have a dedicated Windows 7 machine, and that won't be until I build a new computer, and that won't be until Lynnfield has been out for a while.

Thanks for the offer but there's nothing anyone can do to help.
-- Freddie
HotkeyNet
Site Admin

Postby jakweeze on Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:21 pm

drats... well.. hrm... psh, you can access one of my machines through teamviewer aka, have a dedicated windows 7 machine ^-^
jakweeze

Postby HotkeyNet on Sat Aug 22, 2009 7:07 pm

i wish I could take you up on that offer, but unfortunately that's not practical either. :(

It just occurred to me that if I add KillMutex to HKN2, I may be able to do the programming on Vista and have it work automatically on Windows 7. Maybe I'll give that a try.
-- Freddie
HotkeyNet
Site Admin

Postby Binaryzero on Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:06 pm

Are you using synergy?
Binaryzero

Postby HotkeyNet on Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:15 pm

Who me? No.
-- Freddie
HotkeyNet